How to Write a Blog Post
If you’re new to blogging, or experienced, it can be a challenge on exactly what to say, or how to write a blog post. Step by step, I will give you my thought process before I start, how I do keyword research, what helps keep readers engaged longer, how to put in pictures and featured images to make your blog more attractive, and how to write a blog post that is search engine optimized. You will want to save this page for reference later, so bookmark it under the name “How to write a Blog Post” and I hope you will leave a comment at the bottom if you’ve enjoyed this article.
We’re all learning from one another to try to get better, get more sales, increase our presence online, or impact more people as a result of more traffic. To me that’s what a blog is for is to bear your soul 🙂 and tell everyone about who you are as a person, what you do as a business, and what your mission is as an individual.
Components of Writing a Good Blog Post Revealed
In this article of How to Write a Blog Post you will learn almost everything you need to know to create a successful compelling article. Writing a Good Article Once, SEO’ing the article Once, and Placing Good pictures & videos Once, will bring you a steady stream of traffic forever. Content is king, so just do it!
Lets Break Down the Checklist to help you fully understand the Anatomy of How to Write a Blog Post.
- What do You want to write About – An Idea pops into your head that you want to share, or there is a trending topic that is getting a lot of attention at the moment. Hot topics or hot companies will bring you a lot of traffic almost instantly, and traffic to your page can mean sales for your business, or attention to your mission. It’s Christmas time right now, so I could write about Christmas Gifts, Greeting Cards, etc but I will first check the competition on keywords to make sure I can get noticed on the search engines. If you have a niche site, you can always write about your niche, but for example my site is general knowledge on internet marketing, network marketing so I look for topics that have lots of traffic, and try to provide a solution for what people are looking for.
- What Keyword do You want to Target – I think about my topic I want to write about, and then head over to the Google Keyword Tool to start doing research. I’m looking for keywords with 10K or more searchs with low to medium competition. You don’t want to target a keyword that no one is searching for – you won’t get any visits.
- Break Up a Long Post with Pictures, Videos, and Headings – Put pictures at the very top of the post that portray what your article is about. If it’s a long article, put more pictures and/or videos to break up the content to keep them engaged without getting bored.
- Search Engine Optimize Your Blog Post – This is so important so read closely. You want your targeted keyword in the Headline or Title of the Page, In the URL with Dashes (how-to-write-a-blog) etc after your main domain, with Heading Tags (These are Heading 1, Heading 2, 3, 4, etc under your font choices from a blog). Bold Type the Keyword Early in the post, put the keyword in italics, and underline as early as possible. Try to link to Google when possible for backlinks to Google (They like it), and lastly I link to wikipedia for a definition when I have time to tell what my article is about. Use an SEO Plugin to write a good title, definition of the article with keywords, and lastly put 6-10 long tail keywords that your article is about.
- Make Your Blog Attractive with Featured Images (You Only have .7 Seconds to Gain Interest) – I always put an image at the top of my articles, and I try to find themes that use “featured images” that show up on the front of my page. They just look better, and remember, a picture IS worth a thousand words.
- Use Bullet Points or Numbers to Spell Out the Content of Your Article – Just like I’m doing here…people like things in bullet points, and in an order they can understand.
- Place Ads in Your Blog Posts – Avoid Selling Early but A Call to Action at the end is ok. Pictures work great, and so do links to your products or services. Give good content early, solve a problem, and close with a call to action.
- Place Videos in Your Blog Post – Some People Like Text, Most Like Video. Try to Include Video to Put some emotion into your article, or go into further detail to keep their attention.
- Give Out What People Really Want – Hype vs Value, Emotion vs Facts, Selling vs Solutions to Problems. People don’t like hype, being overly emotional, and they don’t like to be sold. They get that everyday so be different. Give out value added content, stick to the facts, solve their problems, and you will find your audience will want to “pay you back”. Always ask the question “What’s in it for them?” (your audience) If it sounds self serving, it probably is. Avoid bold letters, exclamation points, or emotional text when possible because again, it can appear pushy, self-serving, and turn people off.
As always, I hope you find this helpful. Share this article with others you think it may help, Like It, Google + it, Leave a Comment or all the above…you get the point. 🙂
That’s one more tip before I go. Remember the Law of Reciprocation – If you leave comments, likes, or share content you enjoy, other people will do the same for you. Leaving a comment with a backlink is something I do on almost every article I read, and I encourage you to do the same. It only takes a minute, but it can make a huge difference in your traffic later. I just started using a Service that does all this for you be being part of a network or other people just like you. It’s Called TribePro. Check it out Here…It’s the “secret weapon” used by many of the top internet marketing professionals. Make it a great week!