20 Legitimate Home Based Businesses in 2015 to Start Up
Having been around the home based business industry for several years, and quite visible online, I get approached constantly about different opportunities or MLM companies to join. I’m not focused on building an MLM company at the moment, but if I were, there are a few home based businesses I would consider if the timing were right. Here’s my shortlist of legitimate home based businesses in 2015 that I think have the ability to do well in the future both financially and/or from a product usage standpoint to consumers. In my list I have everyday services that can be offered such as a handyman service, so my list isn’t just about joining an MLM to make money. None of the MLM companies I mention are front end loaded in my opinion, which means it’s all about recruit, recruit, recruit. Some of them are just good to be a part of just for the association of some of the other representatives involved.
What Criteria Did I Use for the Best Home Based Businesses to Start for 2015?
I wanted to put together a blend of inexpensive MLM companies to consider joining for reasons I mention in the article, as well as service related home based businesses in 2015 that make sense to consider starting. Most of these you can start for less than a few hundred dollars, and many of them have potential to earn several thousand a month part-time, or six figures or more part time. Here’s my list of the best home based businesses to start in 2015 and on into 2016. Hope you enjoy!
- Babysitting, Elderly Sitting – Babysitting isn’t just for teenagers anymore. If you like children, then this could be a side business for you. Network in your community and be prepared to be available for work at night and on the weekends. There are many people looking for reliable house sitters for their elderly parents too, and the pay can be pretty decent. If babysitting, consider a few kids at once to increase your revenue. Get your background checks already setup, and look presentable. People want to hire people they can trust now more than ever, so this will come in handy during the interview process for the job.
- Younique – Younique is one of the best MLM opportunities for women that I’ve seen in years. It’s $99 to join, but you get almost $200 worth of product with it. There are NO monthly autoships, and the prices are extremely reasonable for what you get. They sell make-up and skin care type products for women. Younique has a brilliant compensation and business structure in my opinion. Not having an autoship means they believe in their product, and that it will sell on it’s own rather than force their reps to buy it. The retail pricing is competitive with what you would find in department stores for similar quality, but my wife loves their products and thinks the quality is better. You can sell the products for a nice retail profit on your own, so you don’t have to solely rely on recruiting anyone to make a decent profit. At any rate, Younique is worth looking into and would be a great platform online for any working or stay at home Mom to promote as a legitimate home based business.
- Cleaning Service Company – Where there are people, there will be a need to clean. Whether you focus on cleaning houses or go after business from companies, this cheap startup business idea will cost as much as supplies and the fliers needed to get your name out in the community. The hours for the cleaning service could dovetail nicely with a standard Monday through Friday job—businesses usually want their buildings cleaned at night and on weekends. This is another business I’ve seen explode and can be scaled easily into a full-time career.
- Save10 App – Save10 is a new company that is in the app business, and helps small businesses attract new customers to them as well as offer discounts to local consumers. It’s a great value for the consumer at $10 per month, and free for the small business to enroll as a merchant. The business simply has to offer a 10% or more discount on their products or services, and the consumer can see who provides a discount on what they are looking for. Save10 is blowing up in some cities already with hundreds of merchants in their area to choose from. It’s $10 per month for the app usage as a customer, and $24 to be a representative. That’s it! This is a simple home based business for local business owners or anyone that wants to promote the app to them, and not time consuming at all to learn. They create a win-win scenario for customers and business owners, and I’m already a fan of that.
- Wealthy Affiliate University – I’m a huge fan of Wealthy Affiliate, as they teach everything you need to know about online marketing or affiliate marketing to be specific. Are you a personal trainer, want to sell Save10, Younique or any other product you can think of online? Wealthy Affiliate University is exactly what it says in that it a step by step online marketing training course for anyone that wants to learn. Of all the ways to make money, having the skill set to market whatever you want is the most valuable. They have a completely free trial for 7 Days (No credit card required), and after that it’s only $49 per month that includes valuable tools for internet marketing purposes. Comes with unlimited free premium hosting (not shared and slow) for WordPress, free themes, a powerful keyword research tool I use constantly for targeting keywords, and several more great tools for internet marketing. Combine that with an affiliate marketing training course with modules to graduate, plus a built in affiliate program to help other new marketers, and Wealthy Affiliate is worth every bit of what they charge for their program.
- Lawn Care Service – This is a seasonal career that can be lucrative if marketed to busy homeowners who have better things to do on their days off than mow their lawns. It is a good job for someone who likes to be outdoors, and can be started inexpensively with fliers, business cards, craigslist, and a lawnmower. If you learn how to do local marketing like we teach here, you can own your local market to get consistent leads too. It’s an easy niche to dominate online, because most of the players don’t use the internet effectively based on my own observations. Also, it’s a business that you can easily scale into a bigger operation.
- Homemade Gourmet Foods or Dinners to Go – A love of cooking turned into a full-time business for many people throughout the country. One concept I’ve seen that isn’t slowing down is precooking meals for busy Moms to pickup, and heat up when they get home. I’ve worked with several of these clients, and their businesses are exploding. I’ve owned a restaurant, and if I were to start one business in the food industry today, it would be this one. Keep your selection somewhat limited to keep the products turning, but make good home cooked meals in heatable containers to take home and you’ve got an overnight hit in my opinion. If you’re just getting started, the cost is cooking supplies, packaging, and basic marketing materials, and depending on where you’re going to sell your goods, either the cost to set up a website or rent a retail store. However, you can easily start this home based business in your kitchen.
- Handyman Services – If you can fix a rain gutter, do simple electrical repairs or know how to spackel, turn those home-improvement skills into a legitimate home based business. Make sure to check with your state about any possible permits or licenses needed to work. You can market on Craigslist easily to get jobs, and marketing locally online is simple with our online marketing course we offer as well.
- Virtual Assistant or Light Bookkeeping – If you like organizing things, weeding through e-mails, posting to social media and keeping people on a schedule, market those skills to small-business owners who are too busy growing their own businesses to take care of those things themselves. The costs of starting this business could include a computer and stable Internet connection to maintain contact with your clients. Businesses everywhere are looking for this type of service, so it won’t be hard to find jobs if you’re willing to try it.
- Online Content Production or Web Design – If you have a knack for writing and good grammatical skills, content writing for websites could be a cheap home based business startup for you. Cost to kick off this business includes a computer and an Internet connection. Market your skills on sites including Freelancer.com or UpWork, where potential employers look for contract workers locally, and nationally as well.
- SendOutCards – I’ll admit upfront I’m a member of SendOutCards, and they have a $399 enrollment fee. However, the lessons I gained from working with them, and the power of their product in the business world is second to none. They have a contact management system that stores contacts that you can mail cards and gifts
to clients instantly that are printed, stuffed, stamped and mailed out for you which is super cool. We all say we should send more “Thank You Cards”, Christmas Cards, Cards at Thanksgiving etc, and SendOutCards is by far the best tool available to do that with. My take on SendOutCards is this: Is it a great money maker as a distributor? Maybe not for a sizable income, but for a part-time $400-1000 a month without even recruiting anyone, absolutely. Business owners will buy the products, and you get a residual every time a card or gift is sent from customers or representatives. So SendOutCards passes my test for being able to make $500-1000 a month without having to recruit anyone. It’s less than a $1 per card mailed out, so it passes the Walmart test of saving the masses money or being competitively priced. Businesses can put their logos on them, send gifts to special clients or loved ones, and you can even write the card in your own handwriting. SendOutCards is a great tool that can be pay as you go, $9.99 a month or $31 a month to get the best pricing possible on cards and gifts. (62 cents for standard greeting card plus postage, or 31 cents for post cards) Whether I ever make another penny from SendOutCards, surrounding myself with the community they have has been a life changing experience teaching me to give just to give, not to get. It’s worth a good look either way.
- Pampered Chef – This is another awesome company for anyone to market products for in my opinion. It’s
not expensive to join, you get free products to show as samples when you enroll. I think its $90 to enroll, the products are unique and competitive with Williams Sonoma, and the quality of the products can’t be questioned. If you’re looking at a long term home based business to build, Pampered Chef is a great one to consider. They’ve been around since 1980, and show no signs of slowing down anytime soon. You get a turnkey business with a website link for under a $100 and you can start right away.
- Avon – Avon has been around for a long time, and there are women all over the world that trust their brand. It’s a value to get started with them, and it meets the criteria of being affordable, being able to make money without recruiting, and the products are competitively priced, and of obvious value to consumers who buy them on a repeat basis.
- Local Business Marketing Expert – This is something that anyone can learn, and start making money right away also. As mentioned in my Wealthy Affiliate overview, learning online marketing skills is a valuable skill to possess on many levels. I learned how to market online out of necessity when I moved to Alabama, and it’s taken me to a completely new career in local marketing to small business owners. You can market loyalty programs such as Belly, SpotOn, or we have a pretty cool one too, which can pay nice upfront commissions and residuals too. Small Business owners are preyed upon by numerous marketing agencies that overcharge them, so there’s a real need for this service in the marketplace. I actually teach individuals that want to learn how this works, and you can either work with us, or not, and you can get started with a few hundred dollars. You’ll need a website which we have already built if interested, a decent camera if you want to learn how to create videos, software and tools for doing good research which I can recommend or you can use mine in many cases. You can easily build great looking websites, and charge a monthly fee for your service that pays month after month with other add-on services easily integrated It’s a lucrative career that you can do part-time and make several thousand a month, or full-time and make well over six figures if you roll up your sleeves and do a good job for your clients. I love it, and it’s not too difficult to learn how to do it very well. It’s extremely simple to beat our competition in the marketplace, so contact me if you have an interest in learning more.testimonials as a way to show potential new customers what you have done at past events. Costs would include making fliers and possibly having samples of your cooking available for tasting by future clients.
- Errands Service or Food Delivery – If you like helping people, you may like running errands for people in your community. Market to those in your community who don’t have a lot of time for chores or may be housebound. Also, I’ve seen food delivery services do great for busy consumers that want food from local restaurants, but don’t want to get out. These customers are patient and will pay a service fee for your time, plus tips. This one could get pretty big with the need for additional drivers in a hurry, so proceed with a bigger idea in mind.
- Pet Sitting, Walking or Boarding – Combine a love for animals and a love of the outdoors. Many people leave their pets at home alone most of the day while they are at work, but are willing to pay people to check on their pets and walk them during the day. Cost to start this business would be marketing materials and a reliable car to get from client to client. I’ve seen an explosion of doggie day care facilities too that are easy to get started for the most part. Pet owners don’t feel comfortable leaving their pets at the vet anymore due to poor conditions in most of them. Overnight boarding with big yards to play in, secure facilities with owner operators that care about pets is definitely needed in any community. This venture can be extremely lucrative at $30-40 per night, per dog!
- Tutoring: If you excel at a certain subject, you could use that skill as a private tutor for students of all ages. Adult learners also need help sometimes with their school subjects. Cost to get started would be marketing materials.
- Tupperware Consultant – Again, Tupperware has been around a long time and a brand everyone already knows. The price is the price so commissions are factored in automatically for their consultants. No need to spend a lot on start up expenses as it’s only $100 or less to get started.
- Mary Kay – Mary Kay is an established brand as well that is similar to Avon, and while many of the more expensive, recruitment driven MLM company reps bash Mary Kay, their products are affordable and recognizable to women everywhere. Many women are die hard Mary Kay fans for a reason, as they simply like the products and the way in which they are presented. Unlike a more expensive MLM skin care line, there is no trickery involved in meeting with a prospect to explain what you have. They already know what Mary Kay does, and know they affordable, quality products.
Conclusion on Legitimate Home Based Businesses 2015
I hope these ideas for home based businesses inspire you to take action and start you own business in the near future. What did you think about my list? Did I leave anything off that you would like to add? If you’re a member of one of these groups or have suggestions for my audience I’d love to hear from you as well. Please leave your comments down below, and tell me what you think.
I wish you and your family all the best as we head into this Holiday season. I’m thankful that you stopped by!
Best Home Based Businesses 2015
Best Home Based Businesses 2015
Best Home Based Businesses 2015