Getting Started with Journey to a Million
If you’re new to online business, blogging and passive income: Welcome! Keep reading – it’s the perfect place for you to get started.
If you’re NOT new: Click here to get Best of Smart Passive Income
In order to build reliable passive income streams, we must first understand exactly what the term passive income really means.
There are many different definitions of the term, but below is what most internet entrepreneurs are interested in, and what I talk most about here on SPI:
In other words, we make money without having to “trade” time for it. We invest our time upfront, rather than spend it. We work hard now to continually reap the benefits later.
I literally wake up in the morning and see new sales transactions in my inbox, because my businesses are working for me – not the other way around. It’s truly an amazing feeling and I’m so thankful to be living this way (I have to pinch myself sometimes), but I’m happy to give back for all of the fortunate things that have happened to me by helping others achieve the same.
To show you exactly how this works, I recommend you start by watching the video below. Here, I illustrate exactly what a passive income business model looks like, so you can see how a person can earn an income without actually trading hours of work. If you’ve read The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss, this will be somewhat familiar to you. That book, in fact, was a huge inspiration for how I run my businesses.
Check it out:
This is the foundation behind all of my profitable online businesses, and everything I teach here on the blog.
Before I move on to how you can get started, I want to set some realistic expectations for you upfront:
1. Generating passive income is NOT easy and it takes a lot of hard work. Nothing in life comes easy, and especially when it comes to making money online – the same holds true. None of the stuff I teach is an easy button, and although there are tons and tons of internet marketers and online entrepreneurs out there who will tell you something different (don’t worry, there are some good ones out there), they are saying those things just to make money from false hopes. I’m here to tell you that it’s not easy, it takes a lot of hard work, and most importantly it takes action. I’ll do my best to guide you and give you the information you need, but I can’t force you to take action – that’s up to you.
Don’t just learn…do.
2. Generating passive income does NOT happen overnight, and in some cases can take years. What I do and what I teach is not a get rich easy scheme, and before I started making any significant money, enough to support my family with, it took about a year of hard work. Relatively speaking, you can get rich quick, but “quick” in the sense that you don’t have to wait until you’re 65 to start living well and enjoying life.
3. Generating passive income is NOT impossible. Before I got into this business, it was just a dream. It wasn’t until I was laid off that I was actually forced to figure it out, and you know what – it’s totally real, and it’s totally awesome, and I want everyone to experience it too. I get to stay at home with my family every single day, work when I want to work and make my own business decisions. It wasn’t easy, and you’re going to want to give up (like I did several times), but it is possible, and I’m definitely not the only one living this kind of lifestyle.
Now that you’re in the right mindset – let’s start to learn about specific tactics for generating a passive income.
I have 3 podcast episodes that I would say are required listening for anyone who wants to quickly get up to speed on the types of businesses that involve passive income opportunities. If you have free time while at the gym, on the road or even on your break at work, pop these episodes into your mp3 player and you’ll have a better understanding of what you could do and where to start – guaranteed.
Right click on each of the podcast episodes below to save:
- SPI 015 : Types of Passive Income and What To Expect From Each (Part 1)
- SPI 016 : Types of Passive Income and What To Expect From Each (Part 2)
- SPI 017 : Types of Passive Income and What To Expect From Each (Part 3)
Be sure to subscribe to my podcast on iTunes to get new episodes as they come out.
For most things done online, you’re going to want to create some type of website. You have a couple of options here.
If you’re blogging, for example, you could create a site using a free hosting service such as Blogger, Tumblr, TypePad, or WordPress (Free). If you haven’t heard of these before – that’s okay.
You could start a blog for free, but there are a few issues I have with that decision:
- When you create your site, the domain name will almost always include some “extra” part to it that makes it look less professional. For example, if I created The Smart Passive Income Blog on Tumblr, the web address would be http://smartpassiveincome.tumblr.com instead of http://www.smartpassiveincome.com.
- You have less customization options. For example, I know that with free WordPress blogs, you are limited to using only certain plugins, and you aren’t even allowed to advertise.
These two reasons alone are exactly why I recommend going with a self-hosted website. You have more control, it looks more professional and you can truly call it your own.
No matter what kind of site you want to create, whether it’s a blog, niche site, or whatever, I recommend going with BlueHost to register your domain and host your website. I’ve used Bluehost since the beginning, they’ve always been very reliable, and whenever I have any questions, their live chat is always quick to answer and help out.
Disclaimer: I do earn a commission if you choose to go with Bluehost as your host. There are obviously other hosting companies available, but again this is my recommendation based on my experience with the company since I started doing business online. If you do purchase through my affiliate link, thank you so much for your support!
I’ve embedded a video below that walks you through the exact steps to setting up your website on bluehost, which includes how to register, install a blog, pick a design theme and write a post – all under 4 minutes time.
Before I let you go so you can read take action, I’d like to kindly invite you to subscribe to my newsletter, which is full of exclusive content that you cannot find here on the blog.
Unlike other internet marketers, I don’t sell anything off of my list and use it solely to give you awesome information and even engage with you at times. You can unsubscribe at anytime, but I promise you will not be disappointed.
As a thank you, you’ll get instant access to my very popular eBook, eBooks the Smart Way, the most comprehensive guide available on how to Publish, Market, and automate your own killer eBook, which is exactly how I got started in this business. It has been downloaded over 15,000 times, and people have offered me money for it after reading it, but it will always be free.
Just enter your name and email below and you’ll get a copy of it right away.
I just wanted to finish off by saying that I’m here for you, not only as a guide while you begin or continue your online career, but also as a friend. I do my best to respond to all emails (it’s been getting tougher lately as this blog gains in popularity, but I will always do my best to respond!), and I do not hold myself above anybody. I’m not special, I’m just a guy who likes to work hard, work smart and use the leverage I have online to make the internet a better place. Thank you so much for your support, and if you’ve made it this far, I’d love for you to come say hi to me on my Facebook Page. I’ll definitely respond, and I look forward to meeting you! Cheers!
p.s. If you have found this page helpful, please click on the ‘LIKE’ button below. Thanks!